Thursday, December 10, 2009

Television Evaluation

What I Did

Each member of the team played a significant part in making our one minute TV package a success, and none more so than myself. As a group, we agreed before hand that I would be one of the people to do a piece to camera. The topic of our television package was about Christmas shopping, but we felt as a group that we should take an original angle on our piece, as the majority of other groups concentrated solely on the recession.

As I was doing a piece to camera, I was required to write a script, so the angle I took was from a student’s perspective. This meant discussing the lack of shops for young people in Farnham and the possible construction of trendy high street retailer’s, such as River Island, in East Street. The rest of the group thought that this was a very good angle to take, and therefore became the general topic of our mini project. It did take a few times to shoot, but in the end I managed to complete my piece to camera, and I was fairly happy with the end result.

When Jack was in the radio studio completing his voiceover I went and sat with him in a kind of “sub editor” role to check if anything needed to be changed. I suggested making a few minor alterations to the script, but to be honest what he had written was excellent, so I was only a bit-part player.

What We Could Have Done Better

Despite the fact that I think our end product was excellent, there are some things I would have changed. Firstly, I did originally film my piece without a script and I completed it in one take without any mistakes. However, an “ignorant” passer by walked straight in front of the camera while we were filming, ruining the whole piece. This was a shame, as I felt I performed very well on this occasion.

I definitely think that I could have performed better on my “final” piece to camera. I didn’t feel or look as comfortable trying to remember my script, so that is something that I definitely have to work on for next time.

I feel I contributed slightly to the editing side of things, but I feel that I could have given a lot more. I put forward a couple of ideas, but a lot of the time me and Jack were busy sorting out other bits and pieces, such as voice overs. This meant Emily and Grady had to do most of the editing, which I give them great credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment